The Medela SNS works by allowing a baby to feed at the breast whilst being supplemented through a tiny silicone tube taped to the nipple, fed through a special container hung around the neck.
- Maintains important physical contact between mother and baby
- Helps with relactation and/ or low milk supply
- Useful for premature babies or those with feeding difficulties
If you are planning on using artificial milk to supplement:
* There should be no problem using formula with the Medela SNS other than
it is best made up fresh and delivered warm - as milk powder more likely
to dissolve and not settle.
* You may need to choose the wider tube with formula - it would be down
to looking at the baby for pace, milk flow , sucking behaviour etc.
Recommendations for replacing tubing:
We recommend changing them every 3 months for occasional use but
if you are using the tubes frequently (5-6 times a day) you will need to watch out for blockagis, tears etc..
Length of use:
There is no time limit for using the Medela SNS, some mothers use it is a short term solution to just increase milk supply, for others it can be for the full duration of infant feeding
Click here to see our user guide